Mind the Gap


Yes, there has been quite a gap in time since my last entry, and I do have a very good reason for it, which I shall elaborate on a bit later.  Let’s fill in those gaps of where we’ve been and what we’ve been doing for the last 3+ months, shall we?

My last entry was from Branson, MO, so let’s pick up from there!

We stayed an extra day in Branson because the weather was forecast to be miserable and rainy the day we were originally planning on leaving.  Nothing worse than bringing in the slides when it’s pouring rain – the floor gets soaked and you can’t clean it up until you unhitch and set up in your next landing spot.  We left there and stopped in eastern Missouri (Sikeston) for a couple days.  Nothing special there, except we did have dinner at the famous Lambert’s CafĂ© – Home of Throwed Rolls.  So much food, and hot rolls being flung at you by the servers from across the room.  I kid you not.  There’s a website, as well as Youtube videos. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlqXc0z2Cgo

We moved on to Nashville for a couple days, with no plans on doing anything touristy.  Been there already, wasn’t impressed.  It was just a stopping-off spot to our next destination, which was Dandridge, TN, just outside of Sevierville/Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg.   As you may recall from my last entry, we were in dire need of having our landing gear repaired, which was the reason our original itinerary was trashed.  We were able to get a service appointment in Knoxville, at our RV dealership where we bought the 5er.  However, they couldn’t take us in until May 14th, so we needed to kill some time. 

It just so happens that there was another DRV rally taking place in Dandridge right before our appointment, so we were able to get ourselves invited to that.  It was a fun time, meeting, greeting, and eating with folks we’ve become friends with on the DRV Facebook page, and seeing a bit of the sights we hadn’t seen when were at the rally right after we picked up the Beast in May of 2017.  We stayed on an extra week, and we were able to make the Cades Cove loop in the evening through the Smokies.  We were treated to quite a few mama and cub sightings of bears, deer and fawn, and a big old Tom turkey strutting his stuff for the ladies!  We also took a drive over into Cherokee, NC and back through the Smokies, with a stop at Clingman’s Dome.  Definitely got some flora and fauna viewing in on this trip.

Mama Bear and her 3 cubs


Hello Ladies!




View from Clingman's Dome

Our trip back to Knoxville was painless, and the repairs weren’t so difficult.  We were pretty thankful for that, although we will have to stop back on our way south this fall.  We have to have our roof ladder replaced (due to the little incident with the tree in the Catskills May of last year).  They didn’t have it in stock, so we’ll have to order it and have it delivered here, and then pop back in to Knoxville when we pass that way in October.  We’ll have a few other things to get spiffed up by then, so it’s all good.

From Knoxville, we had both decided we just wanted to get back to Vermont, so we pushed ourselves – and the poor cats -  stopping for the night only twice, and hitting the road again first thing.  It was exhausting for Tim, and the cats were pretty stressed, but we’ve been parked for 2 months now, and the kitties are happy.

Our current view in Randolph Center, VT


So, I guess I should discuss the reason for the 3-month delay in making an entry.  As I mentioned before, I had a bit of a breathing scare back in Colorado at the 7200 foot elevation.  We didn’t think anything of it, attributing it to altitude sickness.  I didn’t really have any other issues after that which would raise any red flags.  Oh, a bit of getting winded walking up the hill at the campground in Dandridge and at Clingman’s Dome perhaps, but since I am also carrying excess weight, I feel like that was probably the cause.  However, once we returned to Vermont, I started getting fatigued frequently, requiring at least 2 or 3 naps a day.  I also started having breathing problems, getting winded just walking short distances, as well as when having a conversation.  This was unlike anything I’ve ever experienced before, and Tim made the executive decision to haul me into an urgent care clinic.  After a thorough once-over by the APRN, listening to my lungs, etc., a chest x-ray was taken, and then……well, then came the “suspected” diagnosis based on their on-site staff’s opinion.  Interstitial lung disease.  A prescription for Prednisone, as well as for a rescue inhaler was given, as well as a referral to a pulmonologist.  The scrips were easy enough to get.  The appointment with the pulmo doc?  Not so much.  After waiting for 2 weeks to hear back from the clinic, I finally had an appointment – 4 weeks later.  Frustration doesn’t begin to explain how I felt. 

The initial shock of the diagnosis (and head-spinning from looking at “Dr. Google” to see what I was potentially facing) wore off as I just went about going on with my life.  The meds helped considerably, although there is still difficulty breathing when exerting myself or on bad air quality days.

And today, we finally made our way to Lebanon, NH for my appointment.  The doctor, as well as the radiologist, concur that it is NOT interstitial lung disease.  WOOHOO for that.  What I most likely am experiencing is adult-onset asthma – not at all like what I had as a teenager.  To be on the safe side, I have to go for a CT scan to rule out any other off-the-wall diagnosis, but the doctor was quite certain this is what I have based on my pulmonary function tests as well as the x-ray.  The CT scan is mostly to be on the safe side.  In the meantime, I have a prescription for a steroid inhaler, which should help (and is not meant for long-term use), and also a new scrip for the rescue inhaler. 

Suffice it to say that my mood and outlook have been lifted remarkably, and I now feel quite ready to keep everyone who is interested informed about how and what we’re up to.  That said, I have 2 months of stuff to catch up on, but I think I’ve prattled on long enough.  All that is for another entry.

Sending out lots of love and gratitude for family and friends, and heaving a great, big sigh of relief!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

People Make Plans; God Laughs

Christmastime is Here

Reflections of My Life